My first collection is out from Saga Press (Release date: March 8, 2016), winner of the 2017 Locus Award for Best Collection and finalist for the 2017 World Fantasy Award for Best Collection.
Here’s my round-up post of reviews, essays, and interviews about the book. It’s probably the quickest way find out more about it.
Origami tiger designed, folded, and photographed by Quentin Trollip.
Praise for The Paper Menagerie and Other Stories
- I know this is going to sound hyperbolic, but when I’m reading Ken Liu’s stories, I feel like I’m reading a once-in-a-generation talent. I’m in awe.
– Jamie Ford – NYT bestselling author of Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet
[A] brilliant, substantial, yet somehow still all-too-short collection of stories and novellas… It’s bursting with stories yearning to be told to everyone, and it’s a volume that absolutely everyone should read.
– Andrew Liptak writing for The B&N Sci-Fi & Fantasy Blog
These remarkable stories highlight Liu’s themes of family, love, and politics and gathered in one collection pack an even bigger punch. Those who revere shorter speculative works will definitely want this book.
– Library Journal starred review
Gracefully written and often profoundly moving, these stories are high-water marks of contemporary speculative fiction.
– Publishers Weekly starred review
I have never been so moved by a collection of short fiction. I was at times afraid to read more.
– Amal El-Mohtar writing for NPR
Full table of contents:
- The Bookmaking Habits of Select Species
- State Change
- The Perfect Match
- Good Hunting
- The Literomancer
- The Regular
- The Paper Menagerie
- An Advanced Reader’s Picture Book of Comparative Cognition (previously unpublished)
- The Waves
- Mono no aware
- All the Flavors
- A Brief History of the Trans-Pacific Tunnel
- The Litigation Master and the Monkey King
- The Man Who Ended History: A Documentary
You can read about the thinking behind this collection on The Barnes and Noble Science Fiction and Fantasy blog.