I’ve published 100+ short stories, novelettes, and novellas.
If you like the stories, please support me and my publishers by buying my books (using the Amazon links on this site will give me a small referral fee).
My first short story collection in English, The Paper Menagerie and Other Stories, was released by Saga Press on March 8, 2016. It includes one story that had never been published before as well as a selection of some of my “best” short fiction.
My second short story collection in English, The Hidden Girl and Other Stories, will be released by Saga Press (US) and Head of Zeus (UK) on February 25, 2020. It includes one story that has never been published before, an excerpt from the next Dandelion Dynasty novel, as well as a selection of my favorite short fiction.
Foreign language collections may be found here.
Award Nominees and Winners
These are my most well-liked stories, as judged by award nominations and wins. If you don’t know anything about my work, these may make a good starting point.
- “The Paper Menagerie” — The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction, March/April 2011 (read). Hugo, Nebula, and World Fantasy Award winner.
- “The Man Who Ended History: A Documentary” — Panverse Three, September 2011. Nebula, Hugo, and Sturgeon finalist.
- “Mono no aware” — The Future is Japanese, May 15, 2012 (read). Hugo winner.
- “The Bookmaking Habits of Select Species” — Lightspeed, Issue 27, August 7, 2012 (read). Nebula and Sturgeon finalist.
- “The Waves” — Asimov’s Science Fiction, December 2012 (read). Nebula finalist; Canopus Award for Excellence in Interstellar Writing winner.
- “All the Flavors” — GigaNotoSaurus, February 2012 (read). Nebula finalist.
- “Good Hunting” — Strange Horizons, October 2012 (read part 1 and part 2). WSFA Small Press Award for Short Fiction winner.
- “The Litigation Master and the Monkey King” – Lightspeed, August 2013 (read, epub, mobi). Nebula finalist.
- “A Brief History of the Trans-Pacific Tunnel” — The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction, Jan/Feb 2013. Locus and Sidewise finalist.
- “The Regular” – Upgraded, edited by Neil Clarke, September 2014; reprinted in Forever, edited by Neil Clarke (epub, mobi/Kindle). Nebula, Locus, and Sturgeon finalist.
- “The Long Haul” – Clarkesworld, November 2014 (read). Sidewise winner.
Stories that I personally like a lot that didn’t get much attention.
- “Simulacrum” — Lightspeed, February 15, 2011 (read).
- “The Perfect Match” — Lightspeed, December 2012 (read).
- “The Literomancer” — The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction, September/October 2010. Available online through Suvudu (read).
- “Single-Bit Error” — Thoughtcrime Experiments, edited by Sumana Harihareswara and Leonard Richardson, 2009 (read).
- “You’ll Always Have the Burden With You” — In Situ, Dagan Books, July 2012; reprinted by Perihelion, December 2013 (read).
- “Cassandra” – Clarkesworld, March 2015 (read).
The full list of my short fiction publications can be seen here.