My second collection will be published by Saga Press in the US and Head of Zeus in the UK (Release date: February 25, 2020).
Pre-order at Simon & Schuster, which links to your favorite retailer. (HoZ link forthcoming)
Here’s an excerpt from the preface:
A good story cannot function like a legal brief, which attempts to persuade and lead the reader down a narrow path suspended above the abyss of unreason. Rather, it must be more like an empty house, an open garden, a deserted beach by the ocean. The reader moves in with their own burdensome baggage and long-cherished possessions, seeds of doubt and shears of understanding, maps of human nature and baskets of sustaining faith. The reader then inhabits the story, explores its nooks and crannies, rearranges the furniture to suit their taste, covers the walls with sketches of their inner life, and thereby makes the story their home.
Unlike The Paper Menagerie and Other Stories, the selection here is much more guided by my own personal taste, including some of my newest work, a never-before-published novelette, as well as an excerpt from the next Dandelion Dynasty novel.
Full table of contents
- Ghost Days
- Maxwell’s Demon
- The Reborn
- Thoughts and Prayers
- Byzantine Empathy
- The Gods Will Not Be Chained
- Staying Behind
- Real Artists
- The Gods Will Not Be Slain
- Altogether Elsewhere, Vast Herds of Reindeer
- The Gods Have Not Died in Vain
- Memories of My Mother
- Dispatches from the Cradle: The Hermit—Forty-Eight Hours in the Sea of Massachusetts
- Grey Rabbit, Crimson Mare, Coal Leopard
- A Chase Beyond the Storms, an excerpt from The Veiled Throne, Book 3 of the Dandelion Dynasty
- The Hidden Girl
- Seven Birthdays
- The Message