Book I of the Dandelion Dynasty series. (Release date: April 7, 2015)
Praise for The Grace of Kings
“By turns opulent, gritty, and inventive, GRACE OF KINGS gives epic fantasy a much-needed breath of fresh air.”
“Ken Liu is a genius.”
“Rich in detail, packed with action, and inventive in its blending of epic traditions, Ken Liu’s The Grace of Kings is an absolute pleasure to read.”
“Ken Liu wrote the Wuxia version of Game of Thrones. The scope is breathtaking. The story is epic. This book kicks major ass!”
— Wes Chu
“A modern and smart take on a classical fantasy epic.”
“An instant classic. Ken Liu shows that he is more than a master of the short form. This is a debut novel to be reckoned with. Poetry on every page.”
Two men rebel together against tyranny—and then become rivals—in this first sweeping book of an epic fantasy series from Ken Liu, recipient of Hugo, Nebula, and World Fantasy awards.
Wily, charming Kuni Garu, a bandit, and stern, fearless Mata Zyndu, the son of a deposed duke, seem like polar opposites. Yet, in the uprising against the emperor, the two quickly become the best of friends after a series of adventures fighting against vast conscripted armies, silk-draped airships, and shapeshifting gods. Once the emperor has been overthrown, however, they each find themselves the leader of separate factions—two sides with very different ideas about how the world should be run and the meaning of justice.
Fans of intrigue, intimate plots, and action will find a new series to embrace in the Dandelion Dynasty.
The Grace of Kings was intended to be read with a map by your side. The map is not merely an “extra” to the book, but integral to it. I made my own map for the book before even writing it, and based on it, Saga generously commissioned a professional map from Robert Lazzaretti. Depending on your ebook reader, you may find the map that came with your purchase hard to read. Thus, I’ve made both maps available here so that you can enjoy the book as it was meant to be experienced.
(north = top)
|Map by Robert Lazzaretti for Saga
(north = right)
- UK and the Commonwealth: Head of Zeus is my English publisher outside North America. I love what they’ve done with the book. The hardcover and export editions are all gorgeous.
- Chinese: Dook Books will be publishing the Chinese edition in 2016, translated by Meizi Wang.
- Japanese: Hayakawa published the Japanese edition of The Grace of Kings in two volumes: (蒲公英王朝記 巻ノ一 諸王の誉れ and 蒲公英王朝記 巻ノ二: 囚われの王狼) in April and June 2016, translated by Yoshimichi Furusawa.
- Spanish: Alianza Editorial, S.A. published the Spanish edition (La Dinastía del Diente de León, La gracia de los reyes) in June 2016, translated by Francisco Muñoz de Bustillo.
- German: Droemer Knaur published the German edition, Die Schwerter von Dara – Seidenkrieger, translated by Katharina Naumann, in September 2016.
- Russian: AST will be publishing the Russian edition (more details TBA).
- Polish: Sine Qua Non Romanski published Polish edition, Kralların Merhameti, translated by Can Erhan Kızmaz, on March 4, 2016.
- Czech: Host will be publishing the Czech edition (more details TBA).
- Turkish: Ithaki will be publishing the Turkish edition (more details TBA).
- French: Univers Poche will be publishing the French edition (more details TBA).