I’ve published 100+ short stories, novelettes, and novellas.
If you like the stories, please support me and my publishers by buying my books (using the Amazon links on this site will give me a small referral fee).
My first short story collection in English, The Paper Menagerie and Other Stories, will be released by Saga Press on March 8, 2016. It includes one story that has never been published before as well as a selection of some of my “best” short fiction.
Foreign language collections may be found here.
Award Nominees and Winners
These are my most well-liked stories, as judged by award nominations and wins. If you don’t know anything about my work, these may make a good starting point.
- “The Paper Menagerie” — The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction, March/April 2011 (read). Won the Hugo, Nebula, and World Fantasy Award.
- “The Man Who Ended History: A Documentary” — Panverse Three, September 2011. Nominated for the Nebula, Hugo, and Sturgeon.
- “Mono no aware” — The Future is Japanese, May 15, 2012 (read). Won the Hugo.
- “The Bookmaking Habits of Select Species” — Lightspeed, Issue 27, August 7, 2012 (read). Nominated for the Nebula and Sturgeon.
- “The Waves” — Asimov’s Science Fiction, December 2012 (read). Nominated for the Nebula.
- “All the Flavors” — GigaNotoSaurus, February 2012 (read). Nominated for the Nebula; winner of the Canopus Award for Interstellar Writing.
- “Good Hunting” — Strange Horizons, October 2012 (read part 1 and part 2). Won the 2013 WSFA Small Press Award for Short Fiction.
- “The Litigation Master and the Monkey King” – Lightspeed, August 2013 (read, epub, mobi). Nominated for the Nebula.
- “A Brief History of the Trans-Pacific Tunnel” — The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction, Jan/Feb 2013. Finalist for the Locus and Sidewise.
- “The Regular” – Upgraded, edited by Neil Clarke, September 2014; reprinted in Forever, edited by Neil Clarke (epub, mobi/Kindle). Nominated for the Nebula; Finalist for the Locus and Sturgeon.
- “The Long Haul” – Clarkesworld, November 2014 (read). Winner of the Sidewise.
Stories that I personally like a lot that didn’t get much attention.
- “Simulacrum” — Lightspeed, February 15, 2011 (read).
- “The Perfect Match” — Lightspeed, December 2012 (read).
- “The Literomancer” — The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction, September/October 2010. Available online through Suvudu (read).
- “Single-Bit Error” — Thoughtcrime Experiments, edited by Sumana Harihareswara and Leonard Richardson, 2009 (read).
- “You’ll Always Have the Burden With You” — In Situ, Dagan Books, July 2012; reprinted by Perihelion, December 2013 (read).
The full list of my short fiction publications can be seen here.