Update 10/14/2016: DMG has optioned the “Dandelion Dynasty” series (starting with The Grace of Kings). Michael Ross is tapped as screenwriter for an adaptation. You can read more about it here.
Recent Book Releases
There’s also the audio version, narrated by Michael Kramer.
There’s also the audio version, narrated by Corey Brill and Joy Osmansk.
I’m also the translator for Liu Cixin’s hard SF novel, The Three-Body Problem, which won the 2015 Hugo Award for Best Novel, the first translated novel to ever win that honor. It has also garnered interest from President Obama and Mark Zuckerberg. The concluding volume of the “Three Body” trilogy, Death’s End, will be published on September 20, 2016.
I edited and translated the first English-language collection of contemporary Chinese SFF, Invisible Planets. Kirkus gave it a starred review, and described it as “a phenomenal anthology of short speculative fiction.” The book will be released on November 1, 2016
My upcoming appearances.
I have an occasional mailing list for news about my novels, appearances, and other projects such as translations and talks. If you’re interested, please sign up on the linked form. Thank you for your support!
I enjoy giving talks in professional and academic contexts as well to fans or the public. I’ve had very positive feedback for my lectures and readings. And you should never hesitate to contact me about wanting to do something with one of my stories—I love connecting with and collaborating with other artists, writers, scholars, and fans.
To contact me about reprints, adaptations, translations, questions, requests (to give talks, judge contests, hold workshops, etc.) or just to chat, please email me at ken [AT] kenliu.name.
- The Paper Menagerie and Other Stories, my debut collection, is out! You can read more about it here.
- “Balin” — my translation of 《巴鳞》by Chen Qiufan (陈楸帆), Clarkesworld, April 2016 (read).
- “Let There Be Light” — an excerpt from my translation of The Waste Tide by Chen Qiufan (陈楸帆), Daily Science Fiction, March 8, 2016 (read).
- “Chimera” — translation by S. Qiouyi Lu and me of 《嵌合体》 by Gu Shi (顾适), Clarkesworld, March 2016 (read).
- “Of Trees” — a story commissioned as part of artist Herman Chong’s solo exhibit, “Ifs, Ands, or Buts” from January 23 to May 3, 2016 at the Rockbund Art Museum in Shanghai. English and Chinese versions will both be incorporated into the catalog. Herman also asked me to be part of his show by creating “Legal Bookshop (Shanghai)” where I picked out books that would help readers navigate the Chinese legal system.
- For information about my upcoming events, look here.
- Hao Jingfang’s story, “Folding Beijing,” is a Hugo winner! This is only the third Hugo ever awarded to a translated work. Congrats to the other winners (N. K. Jemisin, Nnedi Okorafor, and Naomi Kritzer) and finalists (especially Bo Bolander, whose work I’ve admired for years and whose win I would have celebrated as much as Hao Jingfang’s), and Alyssa Wong, winner of the Alfie for Short Story).
- The Grace of Kings is the winner of the Locus Award for Best First Novel!
- “Good Hunting” won the Seiun Award for best translated story!
- La ménagerie de papier won the 2016 Grand Prix de L’Imaignaire! Thank you to the jurors and readers!