Here you can find my blog, fiction, and other writings. Click around, and thanks for visiting.
To contact me about reprints, adaptations, translations, questions, requests (to give talks, judge contests, hold workshops, etc.) and anything else, please email me at ken [AT] kenliu.name.
I enjoy giving talks in professional and scholarly contexts as well as those intended for fans or students. I’ve had very positive feedback for my talks with the Read! Singapore program and the World Scholar’s Cup. And you should never hesitate to contact me about wanting to do something with one of my stories—I love connecting with and collaborating with other artists, writers, scholars, and fans.
It’s award-nomination season. You can check out my thoughts on the stories I liked here. (I also include at the end a list of stories from me that are eligible for nominations, if you’re interested.)
- 12/3/2013, “Before and After” is out in the December issue of Apex (read).
- 11/1/2013, Bulgarian translation of “The Algorithms for Love” is out in the fanzine, The Gathering of Troubadours (read).
- 11/1/2013, “Here-and-Now” is out in Kasma SF (read).
- 10/22/2013, “Ghost Days” is out in Lightspeed (read or listen).
- 10/7/2013, “The MSG Golem” is out in Unidentified Funny Objects 2, edited by Alex Shvartsman (buy).
- 9/12/2013, “The Journal” is out in Fireside, Issue 5 (read — subscription required). Note the wonderful illustration by Hugo-winning Galen Dara.
- 12/4/2013, “The Plague” has been selected by Paula Guran for her Year’s Best.
- 11/29/2013, sold “Crystal” to In Other Words.
- 11/29/2013, sold “Grave of the Fireflies,” my translation of 《萤火虫之墓》, by Cheng Jingbo (程婧波), to Clarkesworld.
- 11/16/2013, “The Plague” has been selected by Gardner Dozois for his Year’s Best.
- 11/5/2013, sold “Second Chance” to Nature.
- 10/6/2013, sold “Here-and-Now” to Kasma SF.
- 10/4/2013, sold “Seventh Day of the Seventh Moon” to Kaleidoscope, an anthology of diverse YA contemporary fantasy.
- 10/1/2013, sold French rights to “Algorithms for Love” to Galaxies magazine.
- 9/2/2013, “Mono no aware” won a Hugo!
- 8/29/2013, I’ll be going to Singapore from 9/1 to 9/9 as part of the National Library Board’s Read! Singapore initiative to talk about “The Paper Menagerie” (more).
- 8/25/2013, “The Bookmaking Habits of Select Species” and “Good Hunting” are finalists for the Washington Science Fiction Association (WSFA) Small Press Awards. Congrats to all the finalists!
- 8/24/2013, Xia Jia’s “A Hundred Ghosts Parade Tonight,” which I translated from the Chinese, has won an Honorable Mention at the 2013 SFF Translation Awards, Short Form.
- 6/13/2013, Wow, “Mono no aware” and “The Bookmaking Habits of Select Species” are Sturgeon finalists.