Update (June 2016): The Grace of Kings is the winner of the Locus Award for Best First Novel and a Nebula finalist! Congrats to all the winners and finalists and I’m so honored to be among your ranks!
There’s also the audio version, narrated by Corey Brill and Joy Osmansk.
The sequel, The Wall of Storms, is coming in October 2016.
I’m also the translator for Liu Cixin’s hard SF novel, The Three-Body Problem, which won the 2015 Hugo Award for Best Novel, the first translated novel to ever win that honor. The concluding volume of the “Three Body” trilogy, Death’s End, will be published August 2016.
I have a monthly mailing list for news about my novels, appearances, and other projects such as translations. If you’re interested, please sign up on the linked form. Thank you for your support!
To contact me about reprints, adaptations, translations, questions, requests (to give talks, judge contests, hold workshops, etc.) or just to chat, please email me at ken [AT] kenliu.name.
I enjoy giving talks in professional and academic contexts as well as those intended for fans or the public. I’ve had very positive feedback for my talks with the Read! Singapore program, the World Scholar’s Cup, and academic symposia around the country at institutions such as Duke University and Clark University. And you should never hesitate to contact me about wanting to do something with one of my stories—I love connecting with and collaborating with other artists, writers, scholars, and fans.
- The Paper Menagerie and Other Stories, my debut collection, is out! You can read more about it here.
- “Balin” — my translation of 《巴鳞》by Chen Qiufan (陈楸帆), Clarkesworld, April 2016 (read).
- “Let There Be Light” — an excerpt from my translation of The Waste Tide by Chen Qiufan (陈楸帆), Daily Science Fiction, March 8, 2016 (read).
- “Chimera” — translation by S. Qiouyi Lu and me of 《嵌合体》 by Gu Shi (顾适), Clarkesworld, March 2016 (read).
- “Of Trees” — a story commissioned as part of artist Herman Chong’s solo exhibit, “Ifs, Ands, or Buts” from January 23 to May 3, 2016 at the Rockbund Art Museum in Shanghai. English and Chinese versions will both be incorporated into the catalog. Herman also asked me to be part of his show by creating “Legal Bookshop (Shanghai)” where I picked out books that would help readers navigate the Chinese legal system.
- For information about my upcoming events, look here.
- The Grace of Kings is the winner of the Locus Award for Best First Novel!
- La ménagerie de papier won the 2016 Grand Prix de L’Imaignaire! Thank you to the jurors and readers!
- Hao Jingfang’s story, “Folding Beijing,” is a Sturgeon and Locus award finalist! The story was published by Uncanny magazine and translated be me. I don’t know how often translated works get nominated for these awards, but it’s pretty rare. Really proud of what she’s accomplished.
- I won Japan’s Twitter Literature Awards in the foreign works category with the Japanese edition of my collection, 紙の動物園. And I got a super cool plush trophy from Armadillo Hidaka!