Here you can find my blog, fiction, and other writings. Click around, and thanks for visiting.
To contact me about reprints, adaptations, translations, questions, requests (to give talks, judge contests, hold workshops, etc.) and anything else, please email me at ken [AT] kenliu.name.
I enjoy giving talks in professional and scholarly contexts as well as those intended for fans or students. I’ve had very positive feedback for my talks with the Read! Singapore program and the World Scholar’s Cup. And you should never hesitate to contact me about wanting to do something with one of my stories—I love connecting with and collaborating with other artists, writers, scholars, and fans.
It’s award-nomination season. You can check out my thoughts on the stories I liked here. (I also include at the end a list of stories from me that are eligible for nominations, if you’re interested.)
- 3/1/2014, “The Gods Will Not Be Chained” is out in The End is Nigh, Book I of the Apocalypse Triptych, edited by John Joseph Adams and Hugh Howey (buy).
- 2/25/2014, “None Owns the Air” is out at Lightspeed (read).
- 2/19/2014, “What Is Expected of a Wedding Host” is out at Daily Science Fiction (read).
- 2/13/2014, “The Shadowcrafter” is out at PodCastle, narrated by Aki Gibbons (listen).
- 1/30/2014, sold French reprint rights to “The Perfect Match” to Bifrost.
- 1/28/2014, sold “Single-Bit Error” as a reprint to Fantasy Scroll.
- 1/22/2014, sold “Saboteur” to Analog.
- 1/20/2014, “A Brief History of the Trans-Pacific Tunnel” has been selected by Rich Horton for his Year’s Best Science Fiction and Fantasy, 2014 edition.
- 12/13/2013, sold “The Clockwork Soldier” to Clarkesworld.
- 12/12/2013, “What Is Expected of a Wedding Host” has been accepted by Daily Science Fiction.
- 12/4/2013, “The Plague” has been selected by Paula Guran for her Year’s Best.
- 2/25/2014, “The Litigation Master and the Monkey King” has been nominated for a Nebula. Congrats to all the nominees!
- 12/14/2013, “The Paper Menagerie” won Best Foreign Story at the Ignotus Awards (Spanish Hugos, essentially). I’m speechless. Thank you!
- 11/25/2013, I sold a novel (actually 3 plus a collection) to Simon & Schuster. Read all about it here.
- 9/2/2013, “Mono no aware” won a Hugo!
- 8/29/2013, I’ll be going to Singapore from 9/1 to 9/9 as part of the National Library Board’s Read! Singapore initiative to talk about “The Paper Menagerie” (more).
- 8/25/2013, “The Bookmaking Habits of Select Species” and “Good Hunting” are finalists for the Washington Science Fiction Association (WSFA) Small Press Awards. Congrats to all the finalists!